Tuesday, June 25, 2013

FreeBird

As I get further into our "Teaching Digital Natives" text, I am becoming more aware of the implications of not only being a student in this digital era, but what it means to be a digital native as a lifestyle for young people. Let me start by saying that I have noticed most of these characteristics in my own kids, ages 7 and 2. 
Case in point- as we were driving down the highway the other day, my seven year old, who will be entering second grade this fall, randomly asked if he could see my phone for a minute. When I asked him what he needed it for, he simply responded that he was wondering what kind of bird can fly the highest and he wanted to google it. If you knew my son, you would understand that this is a perfectly reasonable and logical thing to be wondering about at 3:00 some Tuesday afternoon on the way to get a haircut! What really struck me though was not the randomness of his request,  but the fact that he was wondering about something and he knew how to figure out the answer. Just like that. Because as a true digital native, that is  a reasonable, logical, and natural thing for him to do. I can see how the wiring in his brain truly is different than my own seven year old brain because of the technological world he is growing up in. 
I love that kid :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment