Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Summertime.. && the livin's easy

Ahhhh.. summer. Three whole weeks of glorious summer break!! Now, back to reality.. and summer classes. I am taking it rather easy this year though, only two classes - this ED 307 course, and Dramatic Productions (we will see what this one is all about!) At any rate, I am pretty excited about this Ed Tech class! I added the minor after taking ED305 last semester; I found that not only am I really interested in this type of thing, I am pretty good at it too (I hope). 
It makes perfect sense to me to teach students in ways that they are used to learning. Since I am a Secondary Ed major, I am constantly thinking about teenagers and ways to connect with them in the classroom. Obviously, teens are obsessed with technology. Being "digital natives" and all, teenagers love the 'latest and greatest and coolest' new technologies. To bring this into my classroom gives me a way not only to connect with my students on a level outside the classroom, but also to bring learning to their level and interests. And I am looking forward on cutting down on the amount of copy paper being used!! My ideal classroom is project and problem based instruction; no more vocab crossword puzzle handouts. 
Additionally, I think graduating with this minor will give me a fantastic advantage in the job market as a new graduate. If I didn't really believe that, I wouldn't be taking these courses- it will literally double the time I have left in school. But not only do I think I will have an easier time finding a job, I hope to find a job in a good school district that embraces the technological shift in education and will support me and my efforts in my classroom. 
So, summer semester. Ready, Set, Go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment